Beginning in November of 2016 the owner of a general contracting company located in Issaquah, WA saw the need to make wholesale changes to his operational systems and processes to support his growth plans for 2017. To this end, BTS was contracted to review, augment, and support his business strategy by spearheading the overhaul effort and then run his back office as a managed service.
Firstly, BTS analyzed the organizations current state systems and processes and then developed a migration plan. The client primarily used manual processes that required a great deal of back-end processing that increased overhead. The following were the high-level changes made to the client’s infrastructure and business operations in the first phase:
- The client was migrated from using a combination of business and personal Gmail accounts to company branded accounts on Office 365 (O365)
- The client was moved from a desktop financial system to a web-based financial system
- We added a time and expense tracking system that integrates with the financial system and allows direct cost attribution to a specific construction project – streamlining payroll, job costing, and billing
- As part of the O365 rollout, an internal SharePoint portal was developed to more readily share and manage documents among employees
- An external SharePoint portal was developed to share the most current project information with each of the remodeler’s clients
As BTS began to manage the client’s back office during the second phase, we recognized additional opportunities for improvement. These included:
- We found thousands of dollars per quarter of materials costs not being billed to customers due to how wholesalers process order dates and gaps in the old manual reconciliation process
- We found and removed gaps in the estimating process that were impacting accuracy and profitability
- We added credit card processing to speed payments and improve cash flow
- To improve employee retention, reduce churn, and improve employee satisfaction an insurance benefits plan was implemented; this had the added benefit of reducing overall labor costs as employees were willing to take reduced compensation for the security of health benefits
To find out how BTS can help your business streamline its operational processes, please contact us.